Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bridal Attire


Photo by Five By Five Photography & Design

As a budget bride, I had long thought that my 'dream' dress would be out of reach. After watching 'Say Yes To The Dress' on many a Friday evening, and scouring the pages of bridal catalogs, I knew that my tastes were slightly (!!) higher than what I thought was reasonable to spend. I was thrilled when I found this dress with a sweetheart neckline and a full, layered tulle skirt on the David's Bridal website, well under my $1,000 pricepoint. With only a five-month engagement, and a rush needed for a petite order, I made my decision on this dress VERY quickly - less than two weeks after we were engaged! While my Mom wasn't able to come down from Canada before our wedding, I was very thankful that Jermaine's Mom was able to be with me when I said yes to my dress! With an aggressive workout strategy, I took the risk of ordering my dress several sizes smaller than I was measuring at my fitting, despite strong objections from the staff. While it may not be for everyone, I knew that especially with my 5'1" frame, losing any weight would result in a drop of several dress sizes. I was thrilled when my dress arrived and needed only slight alterations - and it was too large!! I used two separate full slips underneath my skirt to increase the fullness, which also meant I didn't need to have the dress hemmed. I'm so happy with my decision and loved wearing my dress on our wedding day!


After months of searching, I found this gorgeous gold sash on an Etsy shop Love Like Style several weeks before the wedding. I love the intricate designs of the gold lace, and it ties in the back with lovely tan ribbons that cascaded down. I've worn it on several occasions since and love having that element of our wedding day to accessorize with.


Another Etsy find, la Boutique Isabelle provided my lovely lace headpiece. The simplicity of the lace was something that I loved, and I was happily surprised to discover that the ribbon ties on the headpiece exactly matched the gold sash I had ordered. I'm so glad I could find items that were unique and fit not only into the vision I had for my bridal attire, but the small $50 budget I had allocated for these items.




One evening last fall, Jermaine & I were driving through Louisville and happened to go past a bridal shop I hadn't seen before, Afterglow. I let out a very loud GASP when I saw this veil in the window and then had to quickly reassure Jermaine that he wasn't about to hit something! I went back a few weeks later with my sister-in-law and found that it was not only still there, but on sale! The veil is cathedral length, slightly off white, and has a darling ruffle along the edges. I opted to keep the extra length as I loved the extra volume it added.


My shoes were gold herringbone TOMS. I have been in love with these shoes since the day I saw them (several years ago!) and knew I wanted to have them for my wedding. Being stubbornly unwilling to buy ANY wedding items before we were engaged, I almost missed out on having these shoes, as they disappeared from the TOMS catalog one month before Jermaine popped the question. Imagine my delight when they reappeared one month before the wedding!! I ordered a pair immediately - and then the post office lost the package. A second pair was ordered, which DID arrive in time, so I was able to walk down the aisle in my dream shoes!

PS - how CUTE is my little flower girl and her dress?! She had matching gold TOMS too!! Love her!!

xoxo mrs dobbins

No comments:

Post a Comment