Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Munchies

We loved the food served at our wedding! From popcorn to dinner to dessert, we worked with some wonderful chefs and even imported some snacks from Canada!!

Being HUGE popcorn fans, it was really a no brainer when we decided to have a popcorn bar during our cocktail hour. In Canada, there's a place called Kernels that makes delicious flavoured popcorn. It was always a treat to pick out our own little bags of popcorn when I was growing up, and dill pickle was ALWAYS my favourite!! Jermaine worked at a cinema growing up and also had a weakness for popped corn, AND he met my maid of honour Jennifer at this cinema, who would introduce us many years later!! Popcorn certainly seemed fitting to share with our guests. I hand stamped brown paper bags with a few friends, so there was one for each of our guests to mix their own concoctions. We had three HUGE gold basins to serve the popcorn in and several flavours for our guests to customize their own bags. It was definitely a hit!!


Photos by Five By Five Photography & Design

For dinner, we went with Kitchen by House Blend. We ended up hiring them at the last minute (think two weeks before the wedding!!) which I certainly would not recommend, but was necessary in this case. I had met Holly at a wedding show about a month before our wedding and their food was DELICIOUS! I didn't think we could afford to work with them, but Holly worked with us to create a menu that satisfied not only our budget but our appetites. Being a vegan, I've been at many weddings where I've only been able to have rolls & lukewarm veggies, so I definitely wanted to have an entree that I could enjoy. We served chicken, BBQ, mashed potatoes, veggies, baked beans & rolls, and had a vegan quinoa option that made me VERY excited! 


For dessert, we had a cookie bar containing lots of different options. I spent the weeks before the wedding baking from some family recipes, and my Mom brought several novelty brands from Canada. The more traditional chocolate chip, shortbread & gingerbread met Fudgeos (a favourite import of my coworkers!) and maple leaf cookies and allowed our guests to create a plate that was all their own. Hand stamped signs beside each plate let our guests know what they were choosing. We also had delicious chocolate cake & Viennese torte baked by Creative Crumbs.







I'm so thankful that we were able to incorporate so many delicious items into our menu, especially at our mini-budget's price point. We even took some leftovers with us on our honeymoon and had our own popcorn bar all week, with a few pieces of cake! Talk about sweet love :)

xoxo
mrs dobbins

No comments:

Post a Comment